Saturday, July 26, 2014

Tracking Progress


I drive a 1993 Volvo 240S that was generously given to me by my mother-in-law several years ago. It has served me well and is completely paid for which satisfies two important qualities in a vehicle for me. The engine runs well, but other features on the car are beginning to stop working. One of those is my odometer which stopped keeping track of miles at 212,559. I didn't realize this until I was checking my mileage for my next oil change and realized it hadn't moved. It really isn't a big deal since I don't plan on selling the car and the difficulty in removing the dash to fix it just doesn't seem worth the effort. It does mean that I can't accurately track how many miles I've traveled and have to use other methods to figure out my progress.

It makes me wonder how effectively I'm measuring progress in other areas of my life. How am I determining my spiritual growth? How do I know if I am a better husband and father? Do I know if I am moving closer to who Christ wants me to be? Am I better at thinking of the needs of other people or am I purely self-focused? Have I made some positive changes in my character and am I moving towards the man that I want to be? 

I need to figure out consistently accurate ways to measure these things if they are important in my life. If I'm neglecting to assess my growth then I'm deciding it's not that important for me to make progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment