Thursday, July 3, 2014

Predict the Future

Babe Ruth is arguably the best baseball player of all time. In 1930, he was awarded a contract that paid him $130,000 a year to play for the Yankees. His general manager at the time, Ed Barrow, was quoted as saying, "No one will ever be paid more." Contrary to Ed's forecasting ability, the average salary for a major league baseball player today is over $2 million. Obviously, good old Ed wasn't an expert at predicting the future. The truth is that most of us aren't experts in the practice of accurately predicting the future either. If we were more skilled at it, we would make better decisions in our present circumstances instead of being constantly disappointed by the results of our choices.

I suppose that leaves us with two directions: continue to do the best we can on our own with limited success or start trusting God to direct our future since He already knows what's going to happen. Doesn't sound like much of a choice to me even as I continue to struggle with that level of trust. I think part of it is a lack of faith in God's promises while some can be attributed to my stubborn pride that prevents me from accepting things that I may not want to hear. Beginning to trust God's promises instead of my own shaky predictions is the key to personal stability and maturity.

No comments:

Post a Comment