Thursday, March 20, 2014

Rest Up

Tomorrow is my weekly day off. I look forward to this day even though I actually love what I do (most days.) My passion is fueled by the fact that I'm doing what I have been called to do-it's more than a job to me. In ministry there are multiple projects going on at once, future planning & implementation to work through, people to invest in and develop, personal enrichment opportunities, and the day-to-day demands of caring for people. It wouldn't take much to convince me to work hard seven days a week just to attempt to keep up with the pace of ministry. While that might make me feel better about accomplishing my goals and crossing off tasks, I actually believe that I would be less effective attempting this pattern of work.

I've discovered that this day of rest is absolutely essential for my mental, physical, and spiritual well-being. The down time gives me a chance to break my weekly routine and gain some rest. I don't always spend the day lazing around, but the change of pace helps re-energize & refocus me to jump back in with increased strength. I've discovered that I'm actually able to produce at higher levels by taking a day away instead of powering through an extra day of work.

I guess God knew what He was talking about when He told us to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment