Monday, March 10, 2014

Hitting the Ceiling

We've all got an upper limit on our ability to lead. It might be helpful to think of that limit as the ceiling in a room. In our current situation, as we are presently gifted, we are able to lead to a certain point before we hit the roof. When (if) we realize this there are only a few options in front of us. Like any other moment in our life, we get to decide if our choice will be a positive or negative reaction.

When faced with this limit we can:

  • Commit to personal change to lead at a higher level.
  • Shift to a different role that fits leadership level.
  • Move to an organization that fits current leadership level.
  • Balk at change & create a dam against the leadership current advancing.


Surviving from bouncing off the "ceiling" requires self-awareness, humility, and a willingness to change. I haven't always handled it the right way in my own life, but want to make sure that I don't limit myself or those that I lead with my reticence to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment