Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Abandon

Charles de Foucauld was a priest in the early 1900's that didn't begin his true journey of faith until later in his adult life. He was no stranger to wealth and was known for a fairly extravagant lifestyle. While serving in the military he observed people who were adamant about their faith and he developed an interest in discovering what this meant for himself. As he explored Christianity and cemented his faith, he gave away his financial rights and become a priest. He wrote a prayer called, "The Prayer of Abandonment" that is quite humbling to read from a personal perspective. It's a reflection of his search for God and his desire to submit all of his life to God's purposes and not his own. It's a prayer that I aspire to pray in complete commitment of my life purposes to God's direction.

Father,

I abandon myself into you hands; do with me what you will.
Whatever you may do, I thank you;
I am ready for all, I accept all.
Let only your will be done in me, and in all your creatures.
I wish no more than this, O Lord.

Into your hands I commend my soul;
I offer it to you
with all the love of my heart,
for I love you, Lord,
and so need to give myself,
to surrender myself into your hands,
without reserve,
and with boundless confidence,
for you are my Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment