Monday, May 26, 2014

Looking for Something Different

I like new things. That may be hard to believe if you examined my life and the things around me. I drive a 1993 Volvo and my wife drives our 2003 Dodge Caravan. My closet and dresser contain clothes that (for the most part) I have had for several years. In fact, there are clothes that I wear that are still in good shape and are at least a decade old. My favorite chair in our house is an old rose-colored recliner that was given to us by a close friend over 15 years ago. It's obvious that I find things that I like and hang on them.

Even though that is true about my personal belongings I am still enthralled by something new. I love to stumble across a new musical artist or discover an unknown, talented author. I get great pleasure from a new restaurant or a new way of cooking something familiar. I love the newness of adjusting to the homes we have moved into over the last five years. As an extrovert (and pastor) I like to meet new people and learn new things about people I've known for a long time. I am eager to hear new ideas and discover something that might stretch my own thought processes.

There is just something attractive about the concept of newness. I think we all need some of this in our life to bring freshness to our routines and expand our minds. Hang on to some things, but learn to find enjoyment in the discovery of something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment