Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Embracing or Resistant?

How do you react to change? I don't know that I can respond with one firm answer to that question. There are some things that I want to remain constant as part of my normal routines. I also deeply desire change in other areas so that I don't fall into completely predictable patterns. I believe (and preach) that we need to change or we become stagnant yet I have had to learn to accept and even seek out that change.

It hasn't always come easy to me because I took that change far too personally. I would react in a defensive way to anything that adjusted my way of thinking (especially when it altered one of my ideas!) and resist the necessary moves to embrace it. My aversion was only applied to those things that were not my original idea and still affected me in big ways. It has only been through tough-love mentoring and mature personal adjustments that I have learned to not only accept this process, but look forward to it. If I am going to continue to lead in a positive, growing direction, I don't really have a choice. I'm reminded of a quote that I use often: "If you don't like change you're going to like irrelevance even less."

How much resistance do you give to changes in your life? Are you approaching it with an insightful perspective that reveals needed areas of growth or are you stubbornly refusing to allow a necessary shift out of fear?

No comments:

Post a Comment