Monday, November 25, 2013

No Consideration

Her filthiness clung to her skirts; she did not consider her future. Her fall was astounding; there was none to comfort her. Look, O Lord, on my affliction, for the enemy has triumphed. 
Lamentations 1:9

I like to look ahead to the future and try to determine if my actions are leading me where I truly want to go. I will regrettably admit that this is not a consistent personal practice of mine-especially when I was younger. I would make foolish financial, emotional, and spiritual decisions based on the immediacy of the moment and neglect to think about the long-term implications of my choices. The fallout from this short-sighted decision making can be devastating on an individual level, but even more so for the people in our immediate circles of influence. 

What choices are we making today that will directly affect our future? Are we carefully considering the long-term benefits & consequences of those decisions? If we refuse to take the time to meditate on where we might end up we forfeit the right to be surprised/appalled when the results are less than satisfying. When we won't evaluate the potential results we're valuing the present moment much more than the coming future. I've seen too much damage in people's lives to believe this is the right way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment