Monday, July 9, 2012

Emotional Roller Coaster

In Ezekiel 20, God talks about the rebellion of His people against Him in Egypt and their deliberate sin of idolatry. He admits to Ezekiel that His immediate response was to inflict His anger on them in Egypt, but instead He held back. He says in verse 9, "I acted out of who I was, not by how I felt."

I believe that God was not simply recounting history for us, but was establishing a guideline for our own behavior choices. We can easily become overcome by our emotional reactions to people, circumstances, and the opportunity to sin. Denying that initial, impulsive reaction and remembering our true character is the key to remaining distinctly different in our culture. Our foundational identity as followers of Christ should serve as that reminder that we do not have to allow our emotions to reign over all our decisions. Not only is it the healthiest decision for us, it is the example that God desires us to follow as His people.

4 comments:

  1. You don't know how perfect this is for me right now in this moment. Thanking the Holy Spirit for using you to deliver brother!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful that what God was showing me was a blessing to others as well. Hope you have a great week at CIY Move my friend.

      Delete
  2. I am unable to read articles online very often, but I’m glad I did today. This is very well written and your points are well-expressed. Please, don’t ever stop writing. Emotional Fitness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! This has been a really wonderful post. Many thanks for supplying this information.
    click here to know more about Key Features of Enterprise Mobility Solution

    ReplyDelete