Friday, July 13, 2012

I Had a Plan

As part of my Type A personality I like to plan things out-sometimes in more detail than others. I have ongoing project lists, meditate on objectives, and spend a lot of time writing things out in my Franklin planner and on my whiteboards. It's a way for me to get a firm grasp on what is going on and to be able to look ahead at what needs to happen next.

As a result of all of this anal-retentive planning I can be come frustrated when things don't go exactly how I had envisioned. It can be as simple as a conversation not going as I had envisioned, detailed plans suddenly veering off script, or big changes in life direction and lifestyle. All of these require shifting of direction and reaction. This is something I have improved on in recent years, but it takes conscious effort to work though. 

This is a reminder that I can continue to plan, but the world doesn't revolve around me and my objectives. God's plan also doesn't necessarily work according to my life maps even if I have been engaged in prayer and thought beforehand. The lessons I have learned in flexibility & adaptability are valuable and ongoing. It molds in me a willingness to adjust, creates better interpersonal relationships, and continues to mature my faith in God's omniscience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment