Saturday, August 22, 2015

Always Competing


I was running early this morning to beat the heat and came up the block to find three runners down the street in front of me. Immediately, I thought about the need to pass them and leave them behind me. We weren’t in a race and there were no medals being awarded, but I still felt the urge to run faster than them. As I closed the distance between us I told myself that I wasn’t actually in competition with them, but I was really competing with myself.

Even in a road race I know I’m competing against my abilities and best time. While my objective may be to finish in front of someone I’m not racing against their personal record and pace, but my own. This helps me avoid the trap of comparison as I don’t have to live up to their standards, but only my own. There is freedom in this mentality that affects other areas of my life as well. I don’t have to be a better man, husband, father, pastor, or friend than anyone else. I just need to be better than I was yesterday. I’m not stuck trying to live up to anyone’s version of what I should be, but simply letting God work in me daily as I follow this path He’s given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment