Above all else, guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life. Proverbs 4:23
The heart is our most vital organ. While we can live (for a while anyway) with any other organ malfunctioning, we won't survive if our heart doesn't work. All other bodily functions are dependent on the heart and its ability to pump blood. Physically, our rib cage protects the heart from incidental & intentional damage by deflecting a blow that could potentially kill us. Our bodies are intentionally designed with this bony shield in place to keep our hearts protected.
On a spiritual level the heart is also where all of our emotions and desires flow from. It is what drives us to take action, to pursue relationships, change careers, and be passionate about making a difference. Our heart is the center of who we are and it fuels all other things--both healthy & unhealthy. What do we use to protect our heart spiritually? What barriers do we put up that keep us away from harmful thoughts & actions?
- Accountability partners: allowing other people the right to speak truth and help us stay focused
- Honest communication with our spouse: sharing struggles & working together in love
- Daily prayer & confession of sin: constantly asking God to cleanse & heal our heart
- Internet filters & reporting software: practical tools that will help us avoid potential pitfalls
- Avoidance of tempting places & people: learning new behaviors and avoiding old ones
- Consistent spiritual disciplines: practicing the habits of the Christian faith to maintain our commitment
Guarding your heart isn't a passive activity, but something we have to earnestly & diligently pursue. Our heart is valuable enough that the effort is worth it.