Saturday, January 18, 2014

Appetite for Destruction

I have a voracious appetite. I enjoy eating and can eat more food than is wise for me to eat in one sitting.
When my appetite is out of control it results in very poor health and eventually in my own self-disgust. I recognize that this isn't just directed at my dietary habits, but is reflective of my personality as well.

I can throw myself into career projects and find that I neglect other important parts of my life. I can become enamored with a potential idea and spend ridiculous amounts of time developing the next steps. I can immerse myself in a series of books that capture my attention and shut out other responsibilities that warrant my attention. I've discovered that this can also be done in a positive light when I am being disciplined in the right areas. My "all-in" personality has the potential to be destructive or constructive depending on my focus. I have had to learn to be cautiously aware of where my appetites are directed or deal with the consequences of energy focused in an unhealthy direction.

God understands this about us. This is why He warns us in 1 John 2:16-17: "Practically everything that goes on in the world--wanting your own way, wanting everything for yourself, wanting to appear important--has nothing to do with the Father. It just isolates you from him. The world and all its wanting, wanting, wanting is on the way out--but whoever does what God wants is set for eternity."

Is your appetite out of control? Are you able to recognize when it is centered in areas that should be left alone or handled with caution? Who do you allow to speak into your life in these moments to help you regain focus? An unrestricted appetite can be catastrophic to our health and prevent us from focusing on our relationship with God. We have to realize when that happens and take corrective measures to save us from ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment