Thursday, September 26, 2013

Fuel Tank

My philosophy on long road trips has always been one of trying to get as much mileage as possible before having to stop (at least when traveling alone.) I want my stops to be dictated by the fuel tank and not any biological reason. It's the principle of going as far as possible without interrupting the journey that I try to live by.


Physically I want to able to keep going as well and end up relying on my glycogen stores to provide endurance. The problems come if I don't fuel properly or fuel frequently. When this happens I am unable to take it up a notch or to repeat an action. It's the difference between a champion and a contender--one is able to sustain focused energy for longer periods of time because they have the right fuel.

There are many things I want to be as a man: patient, encouraging, wise, slow to speak, increasing in love, thoughtful, intentional with my words. I can see where God has been changing me to be this man even more, but there are still many times that I fall flat. At the end of the day (and my energy reserves) I can forget these admirable qualities that I desire and find myself at the opposite end of the spectrum. My personal fuel tank (driven by my capabilities) is now empty. What a difference it makes to know that God is ready to provide what's necessary to ensure that I stay focused on being a godly man. When I draw on my own energy stores I will find that I run out, but I am thankful that because of the work of the Holy Spirit in me I can continue to do what's right. It's not a lack of desire that causes me to fail--it's when I rely on what I am capable of doing instead of what God is doing in me that I fall short. 

I am forever grateful for His grace that covers me and fuels me to better living.

No comments:

Post a Comment