Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Finishing Assignments

My children often complain about the work that they do in homeschooling. It's not an inordinate amount of work, but there are subjects that cause them to groan whenever they are brought up. We do share with them the truth (even if it is somewhat cliche) that they won't fully understand how they will use these things until much later in life. The assignments they work on now are building a
foundation of knowledge and experience that will matter later in their lives even if it doesn't seem like it right now.

It's amazing how life lessons are the same no matter what age you are. While I'm not building a foundation by developing my basic math skills or expanding my science knowledge, I am still learning things that will make a substantial impact on my future. Much like my children, I'm not always thrilled with the subject and I can find myself wondering how it all applies. Fortunately, I have the advantage of life experience and (some) maturity and can see how God has worked through things before. I've got a life of evidence that points to how it all makes sense in the end.

"And that takes us right back to the fact that God is in control of every assignment of my life. Every assignment is part of the plan. That doesn't mean that every assignment will be exciting or fulfilling. But it does mean that every assignment is preparation for the ultimate work that God has for my life. 

Steve Farrar, God Built

No comments:

Post a Comment