Tuesday, February 24, 2015

All You Can


My (old) standard line was that my favorite restaurant was a free buffet. It's actually kind of sad how much I used to enjoy a buffet. I would rate the various ones by the offering of food and the amount we could pack in to our bodies for the cost. I even have several stories of buffet times with different groups of friends. Even though the food might have been good it was more about the mentality of getting the most bang for my buck. I would go back for multiple dishes even when I had obviously hit my food saturation point. At the end of all that there still had to be one more trip for dessert.  


The buffets always advertised "all you can eat" and I certainly tested that mentality. It probably would have been healthier for me to approach it with the idea of "all I should eat." That would have changed my tactics and been healthier for me in the long run. It's a good practice for many things in my life. There are many things that I can do, but I need to discipline myself to think carefully about what I should do first. It's a principle echoed in the Scripture -all things are permissible, but not everything is beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment