Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Slow Recovery

I remember being ghastly ill once when I was in high school. I had a severe cold/flu that knocked me out of commission for a couple of days. It was all of the usual nasty stuff: congestion, fever, aches, dizziness, etc. I woke up feeling better one morning and decided that I should probably go back to school. I remember walking down the hall of our house and turning to go into the kitchen and suddenly realizing that I was falling to the ground. I knew that I was falling, but there was nothing that I could do about it. I distinctly remember slamming into the wall and knocking our cat's food and water bowl across the room as I laid there. I really had thought that I was feeling better, but apparently my equilibrium was still off.

Have you ever felt like that after a big, tough event in your life? You believe you're feeling better and might be starting to recover then suddenly lose your balance and find yourself falling over. It happens to us spiritually, emotionally, and mentally after we've dealt with loss and sudden changes in life situations. Falling down reminds us that healing is a work in progress and that sometimes the pace is slower than we would like it to be. When we hit the ground it's wise to take a moment before we gently get back up. We may not be healing at the rate we thought we were so we might need to take it a bit more slowly and give ourselves the time we need to recover. It's wiser to ease our way back into things instead of repeatedly crashing.

No comments:

Post a Comment