Sunday, August 3, 2014

Legacy of Faith

We continued in our series, The Story, here at Northridge this morning as we looked at the story of
Abraham. He's an interesting man of faith who obviously trusted God with his future and even with the life of his son. There is a passage in Genesis 22 where God tells Abraham to go to a nearby mountain and offer his son, Isaac, as a sacrifice. Abraham is obedient and gathers the necessary material and heads off with his teenage son. The drama builds to the moment where Abraham has tied his son Isaac to the altar and has a knife in his hand when God stops him and offers another sacrifice. It's a great picture of God providing a perfect solution for us and the reward found in our trust in God.

While we often tout Abraham's obedient faithfulness, I wondered what Isaac was thinking during all of this. The passage tells us that Isaac did ask his father a question about what was happening, but it still ended up with him tied up on the altar and his father prepared to offer him in sacrifice to God. The only thing that comes to mind is that Abraham had modeled a deep trust of God for his son and that is what brought him peace of mind during all of this. The legacy of faith that Abraham had built for his son was enough to trust that God was up to something bigger than they could currently see.

I have no desire to be tested at this level, but I do pray that I am building a legacy of faith for my daughters. I hope that they see that I am flawed, imperfect, and sometimes doubting, but that I trust God above all else. If I teach them nothing else through my life but that they can and should trust God, then I can be assured that they are on the right path for their own lives. I certainly don't have all the answers they are looking for. I just pray that they will see that a life of faith in God will not disappoint.

2 comments:

  1. Great sermon on Sunday and great post! I agree that I too would not want to be tested at this level. Until Sunday, I've never connected the story of Abraham with God's sacrifice of Jesus. It just proves that he knows the long term plan even though we don't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouraging words, Jamey! It's a tough passage to think about, but when we see how God is orchestrating Jesus' through it all it makes more sense.

      Delete