Tuesday, February 11, 2014

It's Your Move

I've been reminded this week of a lesson that I already have been over far too many times. No matter what my scope of influence is, no matter how much I pray, regardless of the passion and intent behind what I say, I can't make another person do something. I can plead, cajole, administer tough love, gently nudge, and model good (and poor) decision making and I am still unable to make someone choose wisely.

My children are going to make decisions that I will not agree with (some that will cause them pain and disappointment) and I won't be able to stop them. People that I have invested in over the years will defy logic and wisdom and make decisions that will obliterate their life as they currently know it. There will be those that come to me seeking counsel that will ignore what I share with them at the next convenient moment.

I can choose to be overly frustrated by these unfolding circumstances and quit or continue to prayerfully push ahead and do what I know is right. It's really not a difficult decision to make, but it doesn't mean that the disappointment is any less when you see people suffering due to the pathway of their own choosing.

No comments:

Post a Comment