Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Whole Thing

One of my favorite old hymns has always been "It Is Well." The theme of finding peace in God regardless of my circumstances has always appealed to me. It encourages me to put my confidence where it belongs--in something that doesn't fluctuate based on the situation.

The second verse offers hope that surpasses all other promises of peace.

My sin, o the bliss of this glorious thought
My sin, not in part, but the whole
Is nailed to the cross
And I bear it no more
Praise The Lord, praise The Lord, O my soul

I don't think that most people doubt God's ability to heal us of sin, but I do believe we struggle with the idea that He forgives all sin. While we tend to think that one is worse than the other, God simply offers us the sacrifice of His Son to cover every bit of it. He didn't pick apart the things He wanted to offer forgiveness for and leave the rest for us to deal with. God magnanimously took all our transgressions upon Himself and paid the debt for His people. How can we not find peace in all else when God has taken away the worst things we have ever done, thought, or said? 

It is well, it is well
God has won, Christ prevailed
It is well, it is well with my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment