Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Old School

I was able to lead worship at our youth services tonight since our youth pastor is on a well-deserved vacation. It is the first time that I have been out to the youth building for a mid-week service since I am usually teaching the adults at the same time. I unexpectedly enjoyed how old memories came flooding back throughout the night.

I had forgotten how much I enjoy the constantly fluctuating, ever-changing attitude, and challenge of youth ministry. Watching the group interactions and dynamics always has me pondering the story of each person and how they ended up there that night. I love the laughter of teens as we get them engaged in worship right away and remind them that "they are not too cool to worship." I never get tired of giving a Bible away to a youth that doesn't have one of their own. There is a hint of promise of spiritual growth and the development of future leaders. It's an exciting thing to be part of again--even if only for one night.

I wouldn't trade where God has me now or where He is leading me, but it was refreshing to be able to engage in youth ministry again. It reminds me of the great promise in this generation and the need for us to invest in their growth. I've been fortunate enough to see the positive results of those efforts in my own ministry life.

2 comments:

  1. You have brought back memories to me as well! I do miss working with the youth! God really blessed me during those years that I worked in Youth Ministry! I loved working with them and the challenges that were ever present! I grew in grace, knowledge, wisdom, and faith while engaged in Youth Ministry! Good memories and I am still smiling at the memories! Do you ever get to old for Youth Ministry? Doris J. Godbey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No-I don't think you ever get too old for youth ministry. I see great value in multiple generations investing in our youth. It's always exciting (and a challenge) to see the great potential in them & work together to see it fulfilled-no matter what age we are!

      Delete