Thursday, January 5, 2012

Mental Stretching

While I am a creature of habit and routine, I also need to vary that structure on occasion or I find myself falling into a rut that leads to a desperate lack of creativity. One of my favorite authors, Mark Batterson, says it best: change of pace + change of place = change of perspective. I used to make sure that this happened on a regular basis when I was working in Florida, but have not done nearly as well here in Georgia. When I do manage to shake things up I am almost always rewarded with stimulating thoughts and dialogue.

I managed to escape from the church office this afternoon and planned on having about an hour to read and think over coffee at Starbucks. I was there about 30 minutes alone before a good friend and colleague came in to meet someone else. The three of us ended up talking for about an hour about vision, strengths, leadership, reading, and our futures. It was an extremely rewarding time for me and reminds me of the need to seek out divine appointments on a regular basis. It is also affirmation of one of my strengths-investing in people-and the fulfillment that I gain when I can operate within that strength.

I have been reminded lately (especially today) of the need to invest in my strengths. There are things that have to be done in ministry (or in any leadership position) that require us to work outside of our naturally gifted areas. I would wager that we will be the most fulfilled and most effective, however, when we can spend time sharpening the gifts that God has given to each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment