Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Grateful?

In Ephesians 5:18-20 we are told to be filled with the Holy Spirit and that the result of that intimate relationship will be worship. The phrase that hit me this past weekend was in verse 20-"giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."

As I sat in our worship service, I had to ask myself a big question. Am I grateful always and for everything? I don't doubt that I am grateful for my physical blessings, my family, good friends, and the church. My consistency wavers however, when it comes to expressing gratitude when things are not going as anticipated. I would wager that most people are in the same predicament. 

Can we truly be grateful when we struggle with tension in our lives, emotional hurts, woundedness and brokenness, disappointment, physical illness, marital strife, financial stresses, or weariness? God didn't tell us to show gratitude only when the sun is shining, but also in the darkest of nights. It is an indication of our hearts and our belief that God is the King of all times and not just a rabbit's foot that gets credit for good luck. It is the difference between a vapor-like faith that can be blown away by changing circumstances, and a confidence in God's love and provision that is built on a foundation of rock that withstands all this life has to offer. 

Our response doesn't only reveal our hearts, but leads to a life of joyful worship that helps us persevere through tough times and reach our community for Christ at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment