Friday, July 24, 2015

Sudden Stop


I was running on the treadmill at the gym yesterday after work since it's a bit warm to be exercising outside. I was trying to get in some miles in a slightly better climate and was feeling good while increasing my speed to a fairly good pace. Just as I was about to hit the one mile mark, I came to a screeching halt. My body didn't quit on me, but the treadmill had suddenly shut off. I couldn't get it to turn back on, but it became quickly obvious that was not my most immediate problem. My body did not react well to the unexpected halt of momentum and it took me a few minutes to regain my equilibrium. Sadly, my workout was cut short before I hit my intended target and I left the gym disappointed.

A sudden halt to our life's momentum can be just as disorienting. This may be a result of our choices or come from outside influences that we could never accurately predict. Unfortunately, the result will be the same either way. The quick stop will throw off our equilibrium and cause us to take the time to reorient ourselves again before we can move forward. If it is directly connected to our decision making we will either have to make some adaptations to avoid repeating these consequences. If it is something outside of our decisions we'll have to grab onto nearby support and hang on until we feel we can move forward again.

No comments:

Post a Comment