Saturday, June 20, 2015

Up Close


I read an old African proverb recently which simply said:

When I saw him from afar, I thought he was a monster.
When he got closer, I thought he was just an animal.
When he got closer, I recognized that he was a human.
When we were face to face, I realized that he was my brother.

We aren't actively compassionate when we're standing so far apart from people in need. Are we willing to be the first ones to step forward and form a bridge of peace? Will we close the gap with our minimalized, threatened, oppressed, and misunderstood brothers and sisters so we can be part of the solution moving forward in unity? The first step in the right direction is often the most difficult one to take. 

We've got to close the distance between people to realize we are in this together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment