Friday, January 2, 2015

The Long Haul

I was thinking this morning about my children and trying to help them as they move through this next phase of life. The truth is that I sometimes struggle with what to do as a parent and the best way to help them. I feel the tension of dealing with current problems while trying to do what will help them best in the long run at the same time.

That's really one of the most difficult parts of leading--making choices that affect more than the immediate moment. We can pretend to make decisions that are only for the current situation, but the truth is the impact is longer lasting than that. Sadly, I haven't always realized this and have ended up causing more damage than good. My responses in the short-term have not always created the best long-term impact. It's not always easy to balance the immediate need for response and the desire to do what is best for the long-term, big picture.

I know that we won't always get it right, but if we can at least understand that principle we stand a better chance of making the correct decision most of the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment