Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Just a Day?

Today is my birthday. I don't always do well with a day that celebrates me, but I have softened my stance in the last few years. Even though I don't necessarily love all of the personal attention, I have grown to appreciate the day for what it is.

I recognize that I have been given an extremely loving family that wants to let me know how much they care. As I get older, I also appreciate the gift of age as there are far too many reminders of the fragility and brevity of this life. Each birthday reminds me of the mistakes, successes, and learning opportunities of the past year. Being one year older also gives me hope for the potential of being better now than I was before.

I don't want to overvalue a birthday, but for too many years I refused to acknowledge it for what it was. Today I am grateful for the gift of another year to share life with those that are important to me. I might even find myself enjoying the simplicity of celebration. Perhaps I'm changing after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment