Monday, July 14, 2014

Hustling

As a lifelong New York Mets fan, I have endured seasons of unfulfilled expectations, disappointment, and enjoyment at unexpected successes. My commitment to my team doesn't waver even if I am in the extreme minority. We have had great stars play for the team over the years and have also add over-achievers who quickly became fan favorites. This week in the baseball All-Star game we will have one representative on the squad, our second baseman Daniel Murphy. I've watched him over the last several years as he has worked diligently to enhance his skill set and make the most of his abilities. I read this assessment of him online last night:



Daniel Murphy is the antithesis of a star. There is no grace in his game. There is no flash. There is no sense of ease. His value stems entirely from function, not aesthetics, and because of this, he knew long ago that his only way to the major leagues involved walking a fine line. 

"I've always felt that at the point that I don't play the game with my hair on fire, I'm just not physically gifted enough to continue playing at this level," Murphy said. "So that's how I've always approached it." 




This level of self-awareness and dedication to hard work is an admirable trait for leaders as well. It requires us to be cognizant of our limitations and be willing to maximize our efforts to make the most of the opportunities in front of us. If we fail in either area we'll end up falling short of our leadership potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment