Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Prep Time

Our leadership team was at a conference in S. Carolina last week and the opening session was led by a pastor who was sharing the story of David & Goliath. He was talking about David's willingness to enter into battle and that it wasn't false bravado that fueled this desire. David had been trained to engage in risky situations as a shepherd and had been delivered through them by God. To him, this was merely the next step in using what God had taught him and trusting God to reward his faithfulness.

As a developing leader (as if there is any other kind) I ask hard-hitting questions of myself out of this passage: What battles am I currently fighting? What battles am I currently preparing for? Is it any surprise that I lose when I'm not prepared? I am certain that I will fail in the future, but I don't want to fail due to lack of preparation & focus. Each encounter and trial that I endure is an opportunity for God to do something in and through me and I don't want to blow it.

The true story of David & Goliath isn't about a giant being killed. It's about a shepherd beginning to fulfill his destiny as a king. David had actually defeated Goliath years before the actual battle took place and that same tenacity of faith and obedience is my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment