Sunday, October 7, 2012

Disillusioned

Have you ever been in a situation where you said to yourself, "This isn't what I thought it would be?" Perhaps it's a relationship that has had some of the initial shine of attraction wear off. It might be a new job that seemed like the perfect place to work until you spent a month there. Parenting can certainly cause this thought to dominate your mind--especially during the teenage years. For some, it might even be in the months after baptism when you still struggle with the same old sins & temptations. 

I remember when I entered into ministry in 2003 after teaching high school for nine years. I was excited about the potential of getting a chance to work everyday in an environment that was focused on bringing Christ to those that needed Him. At the end of my first day after an hours long staff meeting, I remember sitting in my office and dejectedly thinking, "This is not at all what I expected." The expectations I had created in my mind were dissimilar to the realities that I was facing. This left me with two options: to go through the motions with lowered expectations or bear down in prayer and work through the situations and trust God to deliver. It reminds me of a quote from Bobby Bowden, former head coach at FSU, who said, "Great jobs don't usually become available. Great leaders get in, work hard, and make the job they have a great one."

If we believe in the sovereign plan of God, then we are not here by accident. He has positioned us in this time and place to achieve His directives and will. Things will not always be as easy as we hoped, but we place our trust in His ability to work in and through us. We move forward in faith knowing that the end result of our endeavors will justify our diligence in overcoming our struggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment