Thursday, April 12, 2012

Day by Day

I am a goal-setter and vision caster (although not as much as I would like to be.) I write every day in my Franklin Planner, keep task lists in my phone, and keep running lists of projects that I look over continually for thought & plans of attack. 

My wife & I just had a conversation about my day at work and I commented that I got some things done, but I wasn't satisfied with what I achieved because there is still so much to do. She replied that she always expected that answer and never anticipated hearing me say that I had finished everything on my list. 

That was not the style of life in Arizona on our mission trip last week however. I got up each morning with the first objectives of drinking as much coffee as possible, praying, and immersing myself in the Word. The rest of the day was determined by the work projects from AICM staff and hitting the rez on the blue bus. I didn't find myself constantly checking a task list or wondering how to spin things into greater productivity. I simply worked with our team to get that immediate job done and move on to the next one.

I don't want to lose my future focus in what I am doing now, but there was a simple satisfaction in striving to complete that day's task and nothing more. It is a balance I need to continue to learn to manage. By nature of my calling I must seek the future, yet I should also find satisfaction in completing what today holds and enjoy the journey while it lasts.

2 comments:

  1. It's too bad I didn't utilize more time with you when I was younger! We function very similarly and I'm really seeing now what a great mentor you could be specifically for me on my walk! I love your posts, and this encompasses my life exactly and pretty closely to how my day, thoughts, and conversations went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I can share what God is doing in me and that it is beneficial to you too. I love how the Holy Spirit stirs up thoughts & motivations and uses so many different ways to communicate.

      Delete