Saturday, March 17, 2012

Stealing Joy

I was mowing this afternoon (using a push mower since the zero-turn mower was broken-another post for another time) and was listening to a Matt Chandler podcast while making progress. He said something that while not actually new to me still hit me in a profound way. His statement was: you are the greatest thief of joy in your own life.

While I know that I am often my own worst enemy, hearing this particular declaration really made that thought hit home. How often do I miss out on God opportunities because I choose to cast joy aside due to other fluctuating emotions? Instead of focusing on the simple beauties of a life that is blessed far more than I deserve, my attention is given elsewhere. I can easily find my thoughts & emotions centered on what I think is missing and how something should be different or better. The desire to see God's vision fulfilled in my life overwhelms the contentment I should have in this present moment.

While I know that satan is a thief that wants to pilfer these things from me, the sad part is that I do a lot of the work for him. He doesn't have to focus on me when I willingly steal joy for him. I can attest to the fact that I am not the only one that does this (years of counseling & observation reveal that I am not alone in this thievery.) My prayer is that recognizing this sinful practice in my own life and genuinely seeking godly joy will start to transform my attitude. If other Christ-followers do the same we'll change the worldly perspective on Christianity & make satan's job increasingly difficult.

1 comment: