Friday, March 9, 2012

Glimpse of Promise

As part of my whirlwind visit to Florida I stopped at Mainland High School today to visit friends & hopefully bring some encouragement. It never fails that as I intend to be a blessing to other people God finds a way to bless me.


In my friend Jamie's class he sells cookies for 50 cents to help raise money for the athletic training program. One of his freshman students came in and bought two as class began. About ten minutes later, he bought eight more and polished them all off. The appetite of a 14 year old freshman doesn't surprise me nor does the lack of spending awareness. It was his simple gesture at the end of the class period that touched me.


He came up and bought the last remaining cookie (after having eaten nine of them already) but he didn't intend to eat this one himself. I watched as he walked to the back of the room and handed it to a young man that I hadn't really noticed up to that point. There was no fanfare associated with it-just a simple gesture of compassion and sharing between two classmates.

It was genuinely heartwarming to watch this simple exchange. I was reminded again of how God works to shape hearts and reveal His love even through homemade chocolate chip cookies & the generosity of 14 year old classmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment