Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Who Are You?

There is a fine line of difference between your reputation and your character. How you are perceived and the true nature of your heart don't always match up. We can choose to hide our character (creating a false positive reputation with some) or it can be misinterpreted through the lens of other people's experiences/biases and our (in)ability to communicate.

Both of these are developed over time-one as a product of conversations, actions, and attitudes with others that determines the images that they conjure up when your name comes to mind. Your character is refined through some of the same things, but is also a product of our life story, environmental influences, and the work of the Holy Spirit in us. They can both be changed, but none of that work is easy.

I have been pondering this concept for my own personal development, but also for the church. Measuring and desiring to close the gap between reputation and true character is the first step in growth. Consistently working to reflect Christ is the long journey of spiritual refinement for individuals and the body as a whole. In the process we discover more of God and our utter dependence on Him for true success.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to let you know that I read your blog and I am thankful for it. I always come away from here with something to make me a better person. I am not saying that get I better everyday but I recognize that the opportunity is there :)
    thanks for being such a great reflection of Jesus.
    in HIS grip
    Harry

    ReplyDelete