Saturday, November 26, 2011

Anger Management

What makes us angry? The results of our favorite sports team? The rudeness of someone at the grocery store? An injustice that we want to correct? Self-righteous indignation over perceived slights from co-workers, friends, and family? That guy who ate the last piece of pumpkin pie?

I want to be able to say that I get angry over the same things that God does. I want it to be said of me that I was upset over the sin that continually entraps people. I want to be striving against satan and the strongholds that he has set up against our community. Even if everyone else around me becomes tolerant of sinful behaviors I want to stand against anything that violates God's Word.

We sing songs that say, "Break my heart for what breaks Yours" but I don't know that we truly mean what we sing. If we did we would be praying with increased ferocity for God's Kingdom to expand and destroy ingrained habits of generational sin. We would genuinely be upset about the addictive power of sin that enslaves instead of simply judging people and casting them aside for their choices. 

True Christ-followers let their emotions be stirred up by the Holy Spirit to fight the right battle-not against each other, but against the powers of darkness that seek to destroy individuals, families, and communities. When we focus that anger in the right direction and allow our efforts to be fueled by the Holy Spirit, we'll start to see what the power of God in His people can truly accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment