Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Who Am I?

Then King David went in and sat before the LORD, and he said: "Who am I, LORD God, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? And as if this were not enough in your sight, my God, you have spoken about the future of the house of your servant. You, LORD God, have looked on me as though I were the most exalted of men. 1 Chronicles 17:16-17

God had spoken great truth and blessing over David and his family--more than David could begin to comprehend. Imagine David's emotions and thought processes as he hears that while he has been actively pursuing God there has been a bigger plan ready to guide his family. In spite of all David's wrong actions & motivations God was working to bless him and his future generations. This is a scenario we wouldn't possibly believe if it was offered to us by anyone else, but it is a perfect picture of God's grace. 

I know I don't always make the right decisions for myself and my family. I can own up to a litany of poor decision making on my part that has resulted in difficult circumstances and rough years of healing. The one (imperfect) constant in the midst of that has been my desire to pursue God. I couldn't always define it, but I knew that I was chasing after something bigger than my own ambition. I desperately want to honor God through the way I follow Christ and lead my family even though it may not appear that way on the surface. Fortunately for my family (and David's) it's that passionate desire of the heart that God rewards. No matter how much I might get wrong (and that list grows daily) I know that I long to honor God with my life. I certainly wouldn't profess to a be a man of David's caliber, but I feel confident that God is ready to bless my family as well. It's my daily reminder of His abundant grace working in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment