Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Adjusting Intensity

It's playoff time in baseball-one of my favorite times of the year (even though as a Mets fan I don't get to experience it for my team very often.) Teams have played a 162 game season to get to this point and most of them have followed a fairly successful formula to be in a winning position. The interesting thing about baseball is that strategy you adhered to over the course of a long season isn't necessarily the same one you implement when survival is at stake. Players on the roster become willing to do things that are outside of their normal role, managers take greater risks earlier in games, and greater attention is paid to minute details by the entire organization. Emotions are high and focus is narrowed as everyone realizes the need to do whatever is necessary to succeed.

This philosophy leads me to a few questions: 
  • Am I willing to do whatever it takes when it really matters? 
  • Am I able to accurately perceive the season I am in and act accordingly? 
  • Can I sacrifice my own ego and agenda to find success when it's in immediate sight? 

Answering this in the affirmative reflects a willingness to bear down and work harder when the time demands it or to walk away from a job to focus our energies on our families. It's a level of maturity that can be difficult to achieve, but is necessary to succeed when it really matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment