Friday, November 16, 2012

Educated

I love to read. Discovering books and being challenged by authors is something that I have always been passionate about. I remember walking home from the public library as a child, struggling to carry all the books I had checked out. Even as an adult, I have continued that same passion and am proud to say that my children are the same way. I think it is safe to say that I am a full-blown bibliophile although the transition to electronic books has certainly made it easier to store what I seek to read.

As a leader, I recognize the need to read as a way of improving specific skills and developing new methods. The danger comes in the vast amount of literature that is available to us. I can find books for growing in faith, developing a prayer life, becoming a better husband & father, finding my purpose, fulfilling vision, and growing a church. I have enough to read right now that I could sit in my recliner until the end of the year and still not be through the stack. If I'm not careful however, I can simply sit and collect information and never put anything into practice. New thoughts & helpful practices aren't very much use if you never try them. It's the same as reading a cookbook and never going into the kitchen. When we gather information and fail to use it, we are
over-educated beyond the level of our obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment