Monday, February 27, 2012

Learning As I Go

I have the pleasure of counseling a wide variety of people for many reasons in my calling. Some of them are for crisis-counseling/management reasons, some for preventive maintenance, and others who are looking for overall guidance and direction. I will be the first to admit that I don't have all the answers and won't pretend to do so. I do believe however, that through the truth of God's Word and our own God-led life experiences, we can relate the knowledge we have gained.

One of the big lessons that I have learned (and share quite often) is that we will be in seasons of life where we feel that things are not moving at the pace that we might desire. There are times when we may feel frustrated in relationships, our own spiritual growth, or the revealing of God's will for our lives. It is in these moments of prayer and meditation that we need to ask God, "What am I supposed to be learning right now?" I believe this is key in understanding that there are times of instruction and growth before God reveals what is next for us. It is in these moments of honing and refining that our true character is developed and we come to rely on God even more. It reflects a basic understanding that we have never "arrived" and that we are a continual work in progress.

That question is one that I need to continually ask of God-even when times are going smoothly and it seems that there is tranquility. Even though I know this is necessary I sometimes find myself forgetting that class is always in session. God is ever ready to answer that query from us as He molds us more into His likeness and prepares us for our future calling. It is a matter of obediently seeking out His response and allowing the instruction from the King to take root in our hearts.

2 comments:

  1. Craig, I SO needed to hear these things right now. Perfect timing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It never ceases to amaze me how the Holy Spirit communicates in so many different ways exactly when we need to hear it.

    ReplyDelete