Thursday, April 24, 2014

More of Less

I need to create variety in what I do. While I enjoy certain routines and ways of doing things I also need to change it up to find complete satisfaction. I can spend several hours doing one thing and will then need to change my focus and work on something else. While variety is good I've discovered that sometimes it leads to me taking on too many projects at once. In my passion to have expanded impact I end up managing too many different things. When I was younger I believed I was capable of handling all of these with excellence. As I've gotten older I've realized that I need to do less so that I can do more.

I'm slowly learning to change my thinking and more accurately assess what I'm capable of doing. I believe that I am a high capacity achiever, but my definition of that is slowly changing. It's not that I can do more things than other people, but that I need to channel my energies into high achievement in concentrated areas. This is where I will be the greatest benefit and find the greatest satisfaction. It's echoed in this simple quote from the book, The One Thing, "...the key to success isn't in all the things we do but in the handful of things we do well."

How can you tighten your scope of concentration? What do you need to set aside so that you can have the highest level of impact and personal contentment?

2 comments:

  1. richard petty use to say that to win the race you have to slow down. the fastest car does not always win. i see that coming true in your minisrtry. thank you my friend for all you do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pacing of life is difficult to manage. I have allowed the misconception of "harder work = work more" to rule my life far too often. It's obviously a lesson I am still working on learning!

      Delete