Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Harder

Life is harder than it appears to be at first. I remember being a teenager and thinking how awesome it was
going to be when I was an adult. I remember as a child dreaming of the complete control of my own life and how much better that would be. As a young adult, it was about the perfect delight of being married and the incredible joy of parenthood. In my beginning as a pastor, I imagined how grand it would be to be full-time in ministry and the powerful impact my life would have. I'm not denying the truly fantastic moments along this journey, but I will also readily admit that there are times when it is much more difficult than I ever imagined it would be.

The good news for me (and you as well) is that while I might struggle through some tough times I am not alone. There are friends, family, and fellow sojourners that commiserate with me and can also lend their collective wisdom and strength along the way. We can encourage and support each other when the way seems to complicated to navigate. If we surround ourselves with faithful people we will discover that we have the solid support we need to thrive in difficult times. We can then be that same support for others when the time comes. 

My greatest hope comes from God's perfect plan and timely deliverance. He never told His children that this would be an easy path, but He did promise that He would never abandon us. Our great Father promised that He would work things out for the good of those that love Him. He has guaranteed us that if we will turn and seek out His wisdom that He will deliver. His promises and our confidence in them are the key to our perseverance and maturity.

"It was harder than we dreamed, 
but I believe that's what the promise is for." 
Andrew Peterson, Dancing in the Minefields

No comments:

Post a Comment