Thursday, October 20, 2011

Ruthless

The practice of self-discipline isn't always easy to maintain. It can apply to multiple areas of our life: healthy eating habits, an exercise regimen, wise financial practices, or spiritual disciplines. Being able to stay focused on those things that we have decided are important to us requires more than a cursory glance once a week. It has to be something that we strive to ingrain as part of our character and not just an item to be checked off on our to-do list. It requires a vision for our lives of what kind of man/woman we want to be, setting the goals to achieve it and the discipline to work to make it happen. The phrase that I read this week that embodies it for me is "ruthless self-management".

I have that written on one of the whiteboards in my office so that I am reminded of the need to be intensely focused on where God is leading me. It is a reminder that this journey of refinement will not always be pleasant, but the results of God's great work and my faithful obedience will be worth any sacrifices along the way. I won't accidentally end up closer to God's vision for life, family and ministry. It will take an intentional effort on my part to actively practice the disciplines that lead me into intimacy with Him.


1 Corinthians 9:27 (MSG)  I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to 
get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself.

1 comment:

  1. I've actually been doing a lot of praying for better self-discipline, so this was timely. And those words are now going on MY white board!

    ReplyDelete