Sunday, May 16, 2010

Results

I spent about 4 1/2 hours on my day off pressuring washing our back deck. It stretches the length of the house & is one of our favorite spots to sit and relax. After the falling leaves of autumn and the pollen of spring, it was pretty obvious that it needed to be cleaned. The results of my efforts were immediately noticeable and my wife & I were admiring how different it looked after I was finished.

I enjoy work like that-as much as I enjoy mowing & even painting (no sarcasm here-I really do like doing those things). I think the reason that those tasks bring so much satisfaction is that I can immediately see the results of my efforts. That doesn't happen quite as often when you are working in ministry-especially with youth. Sometimes you will labor for years before you see the fruit of something & then you may not see it at all.

This is the point where you simply trust that God has called you and that if you are listening to Him, He will produce the necessary results. It is a challenge to keep seeking God and His validation of what you do. It is more about being faithful to your calling than the immediately measurable outcomes.

1 comment:

  1. So true, I remember back in the day. Praying for A kid but we didn't see that much of each other, even after been great friends. hey we went to different schools. We went down different paths. However, God took his time. A freind past away but that didn't change things right away but brought my old friend into my circle of friends. Soon my buddy from back in the day was my roommate but he wasn't ready for God's calling. Years later he was married and had a few kids and God drew him in. I'm so glad the way God worked. Definatley not immediate results but bountiful nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete