Thursday, May 13, 2010

Kingly Leadership

As I was reading early this week in Deuteronomy I came across a passage in chapter 17 that I don't remember seeing before. It is a part of the law that is intended for the king of Israel.

In verses 18-20, the instructions are given to write down the law on a scroll and that the king is to read that scroll all the days of his life. The interesting part (at least to me) is that Israel didn't have a king at the time-in fact, if you had asked the Israelites if they wanted a king they most likely would have said no. God obviously knew that they would desire a king one day and was laying the groundwork for what a successful king should do.

It doesn't surprise me that God was already planning in His people for what was to come, but it does reinforce in my spirit the need for daily studying the Word. If you look back at the history of God's people you see godly leaders & those who were obviously not. I would wager that the difference between them was the amount of time that was spent in the Word.

That is the difference for us even now. We are better leaders-whether it is in the church, our own homes, the secular workplace, school, etc.-when we are willing to pick up the "scroll" and read God's Word each day.

God, forgive me if I ever neglect to study it as I lead.

Psalm 119:11 "I have hidden Your Word in my heart that I might not sin against You."

Psalm 119:133 "Direct my footsteps according to Your Word; let no sin rule over me."

Psalm 119:165 "Great peace have they who love Your law, and nothing can make them stumble."

No comments:

Post a Comment