Saturday, May 28, 2011

Costly Leadership

In 2 Chronicles 35, King Josiah has expended great effort in restoring God's temple, reading the Law and re-instituting sacrifices to God. In verse 7 of that chapter it says, "Josiah provided for all the lay people who were there a total of thirty thousand lambs and goats for the Passover offerings, and also three thousand cattle—all from the king's own possessions." 

As I read that passage this morning, the thought was reinforced to me that true godly leaders must be ready to make personal sacrifices. The obvious (and yet not practiced enough) sacrifice of finances speaks volumes about the condition of the heart of a leader. There are other areas of cost as well: personal ambition, sleep, apathy, personal time, popularity, energy, focus and prayer.

The question for all Christ-followers is the same: are we willing to count the cost of following (and leading) and then obediently pay it? When leaders are eager to do that we will start to see a movement in God's church that cannot be stopped, but will certainly continue to be replicated.

1 comment:

  1. I may not always have the skills that I need to lead but I have learned that when I make myself available to God, he will provide the skills. I am so thankful for this fact. I would be pretty useless without his abilities and power.

    ReplyDelete