Friday, June 4, 2010

Making Plans

Proverbs 16:9 says, "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines His steps." On the surface this seems like an easy verse to understand, but as I reflect on it at this time in my life, it gains a depth of meaning I didn't know before.

I have always been a planner. In fact, I get frustrated with myself when I don't plan accordingly for things. I write them down in the huge Franklin planner on my desk, sketch out ideas & notes on whiteboards, send myself e-mails and make notes in memos on my Blackberry. Through all of my own endeavors however, God continues to work His great plan.

If you had asked me when I graduated college where I saw myself I can readily assure you that I would not have told you that I was a pastor in Milledgeville, GA. I would have had no clue that I was going to leave the high school to work in ministry in Florida. Actually, I wouldn't have been able to tell you that I was going to spend nine years working at the high school level either.

I didn't always get things right (still don't), but I believe that because I was willing to open myself up (sometimes in very small doses) to what God wanted to do in my life, He chose to re-order some of my steps. It's easier to see this on the other side and to look back at the detailed work that God has done. I don't pretend to understand it, but I am definitely grateful.

It's definitely comforting (and a touch scary) to serve a God who has a better plan than I do.

1 comment:

  1. Amen. God really surprises us sometimes, doesn't He? I am glad He led you into Christian ministry; you are a blessing. I have experienced His surprises in my life. He has led me to dreams that He knew I had hidden "in the secret place" and brought them to fruition. He is a great and wonderful God and truly cares about our heart's desires....in His time...He makes all things beautiful....in His time. ;o)

    ReplyDelete