Monday, September 7, 2015

In the Moment

My family and I just returned from our annual vacation and we chose to forgo all technology while we were gone. We discovered it wasn't as difficult as it might have seemed and gave us the power to enjoy our time without being distracted. While I did take a few pictures of our week I wasn't caught up in trying to capture every moment for sharing on social media. I didn't spend any time scrolling through status updates, political/social opinions, or Internet rabbit trails leading nowhere. Together we read, sat quietly while watching the ocean, shared stories, and spent time in meditative thought. It was a subdued pace of life that already has me envying the next time we can withdraw.

There is an ago-old philosophical question which asks, "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, did it make a sound?" I suppose the parallel to how we live today would be, "If a moment happens and it's not posted on social media, did it take place?" The answer is obvious even if we struggle with how to live without feeling compelled to record all we experience.

Life should be measured in the memories we make and not in likes, shares, favorites, and retweets.

No comments:

Post a Comment